Wednesday 25 September 2019

Bell, Haydon and Ash families

Hello

I am in Starcross following the trail of my great grandfather (William Henry Bell) who was born here in 1856, and his father John Bell who was born here in 1824. 

John's parents were Richard Bell (master mariner) and Sarah Haydon Ash.  Richard was born in Durham but seems to have settled here in Starcross when he married Sarah, whose family were local shipowners.  Richard, John and Sarah all died here in Starcross.  John’s son William Henry Bell migrated to Australia in the 1880s and there are many descendants, of whom I am one.

I have found a gravestone for Richard and John in the churchyard, and will look more systematically tomorrow to see if there are other family stones.  I am interested in anything that is known of these families, and I wonder whether there are descendants of the Haydons, the Ash family or the Bells still in the area.

I would be very happy to share what I have learned about the families, and have lots of information about the descendants in Australia if that is of interest to anyone.

Many thanks
Jenny Bell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hooray! You're posting a comment. Many thanks.